The 300th anniversary of the landing of the Swedes in Delaware was the occasion for a souvenir issue of half dollars. The colonists landed on the spot that is now Wilmington and established a church, which is the oldest Protestant church in the United States still used for worship. Their ship, Kalmar Nyckel, is shown on the reverse of the coin, and the Old Swedes Church is on the obverse. Designs were chosen from a competition that was won by Carl L. Schmitz. This coin was authorized in 1936, struck in 1937, and dated 1938 on the reverse and 1936 on the obverse. The anniversary was celebrated in 1938 in both Sweden and the United States. A twokrona coin was issued in Sweden to commemorate the same event.