In early 1883, the nickel design was changed to the Liberty Head. This type first appeared without the word CENTS on the coin, merely a large letter V. Some of these “CENTS-less” coins were gold plated and passed for $5. Later in that year the word CENTS was added to discourage the fraudulent practice.
Five 1913 Liberty Head nickels were originally owned by Colonel E.H.R. Green (son of the famous Hetty Green). These have since been dispersed and are now held in various public and private collections. These were not a regular issue and were never placed in circulation.